Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dark Echoes

I walked alone, the sole living being in an entire complex that spanned five floors. My boots echoed loudly through the darkness that had swallowed everything from sight. I found a companion on the third floor. A dead bat with its wings spread wide. Shadows danced across the walls at the far ends, taunting me. I didn't care. I pressed on, as the shadows grew larger. I had nothing to fear. Am I not one of you? Why should I fear my own kin? His words caressed my soul as I drifted through the dark halls yesterday night, each syllable a splinter that drove deep into my heart. Echoes from a distant past, phantoms that refuse to leave me alone. As I walked to the fifth floor, I heard a loud crack. Something had toppled behind me, but perhaps it was the sound of my stone heart breaking. His words followed me, like flies that just refuse to go away. His echoes have caused an avalanche in my heart, and the blizzard that will follow will see me encased in ice and darkness for a long time. The dreams that I've had will always be just that. Dreams.
My piano is all that remains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home