Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dark Deliverance

Deliver me from pain, Gabriel. I have dealt with the pain on my own for a long time. Perhaps it's best if I remain alone for the present. The blood still swirls in my veins, darkened by my heritage and shadowed past. I cannot atone for them by myself; my penance will long and difficult. I have sought out old demons, companions if not friends. The shadows linger on around this house, consuming whatever little life there is. I remain here, the troubled Prince of pain. I have not stepped outside in over two days. My days are spent in deep slumber, hiding from the sun that stings my eyes. My nights are spent with mortal friends, insomniac and halfway to being truly nocturnal as I am. I have not eaten much, have avoided my family here as much as they avoid me. Alone, as I prefer to be, far away from the delightful joys of human interaction. My bitterness has attracted a swarm of red wasps to my garden. I know what must be done, but the pendant reminds me of the strong attraction I continually fail to break. Eolh: the symbol of protection. It is a warning, an omen. The shadows are swifter these days, more playful. I should have known they were mine to begin with. If I can be neither one nor the other, then I choose this path. The path of solitude, as comforting to me as it was years ago. I'm turning my back on my destiny and humanity, all in one move. Checkmate. Come get me, Lucy. I'm finally broken. This is for the greater good. Those who should never have learned about my world will move on, and the shadows that mark them will fade from their lives. Those who have given up on me will have their last laugh, as I follow my shadows into obscurity. I will do everything in my power to cut the few threads that bind me here, and then we'll see where my path leads me to. But I'm tired of this middle road, trying hard to cudgel my brains everyday and create beauty out of nothingness. I'm not God, not even close. I will find time to say goodbye to those few who changed me, given me a chance to stand in the sun once more. I will miss those days, and especially those nights when the moon hung low and bloody over Bedok. Just us, four friends with all the trouble in the world but also with enough to support to surmount everything that was thrown our away. Those days are over, and perhaps the rifts are too large for even me to heal. There is no hope for me, but who is to say the ones I've been holding back are similarly condemned? No, it would be selfish of me to keep them around me, a circle of protection unbroken and bound solely to fend off my demons. This I must do, and alone. Yammy's gold and black shell, his ivory keys...have failed to lift the darkness. Even sitting out in my garden, with my cigarettes and the low soothing hum of Night's music has done nothing to jolt me back to reality. I am content for now, if not happy...to be alone, where my darkness cannot mar the unparalleled beauty of life. Life, the way it should be led, an endless cycle of routine and a rush to fill bank accounts. I will say my goodbyes quickly. And then I will come back here to contemplate the ruins of my own life, and maybe, just maybe, find Gabriel waiting to take me away. This mindless existence must end, because it is too torturous to continue. I will leave, and perhaps my friends will be happier for it. There will be tears, and recriminations...but in the end, there will be resignation, and finally...moving on. A stubborn part of me hopes that if I survive this, I will be forgiven. But no, that universal forgiveness doesn't extend to us does it? The skies are lightening, the Sun is burning the last of Night's traces away from the world, damn his Solar touch. Here, all too soon the day. My heart is in turmoil, but even with the darkness racing through my veins, I still find it in me to wish for the best. Hope is a human construct, and of completely no use to me now. I will bar the Sun's rays from entering my home. Let the shadows hid the flaws, and I will be at peace.
U+16C9 Libera me domine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home